HMM sale to face hurdles amid slowdown in shipping industry
简介The sale of South Korea's No. 1 container shipper HMM, which is anticipated to be one of Korea& ...
The sale of South Korea's No. 1 container shipper HMM, which is anticipated to be one of Korea's largest mergers and acquisitions transactions for the second half of 2023, is expected to hit a snag amid a slowdown in the shipping industry, according to industry sources on Sunday.
In July, Seoul-based investment bank Samsung Securities, which is supervising the sale of HMM, formerly known as Hyundai Merchant Marine, initiated the sale of Korea Development Bank and Korea Ocean Business Corp.'s stake in HMM.
Both parties, who are the largest shareholders of HMM with 20.69 percent and 19.96 percent stake in HMM, respectively, are selling a total of 199 million shares via the process. Also, 200 million shares of HMM are scheduled to be additionally converted from perpetual bonds to be sold during the process.
Earlier this month, acquisition candidates for HMM were narrowed down to a three-way race between Korean fisheries firm Dongwon Industries, food giant Harim and LX Group. In November, KDB is reportedly scheduled to select its preferred bidder for the acquisition.
Regarding the sale, industry watchers say tumbling demand for maritime transport is expected to function as a burden for potential acquirers.
"Amid the global recession in the maritime transport industry, HMM's performance has been dwindling. With the acquisition of all of KDB's shares and Korea Maritime Development Corp.'s share in HMM expected to cost at least 5 trillion won ($3.6 billion), acquiring the company could work as a winner's curse at this timing," said a shipping industry official on the condition of anonymity.
As of Sept. 29, the Shanghai Containerized Freight Index, which calculates the fares of 15 of the most frequently used sea routes around the world and functions as a metric for demand in the maritime transport, shrank to 886.85, logging a 53 percent on-year decrease.
"The three highs -- high exchange rates, high interest rates and high prices -- are freezing consumer sentiment and decreasing maritime transport volumes overall," said another shipping industry official also on condition of anonymity.
Amid a global slowdown in the shipping industry, HMM's second-quarter numbers tumbled, with its quarterly sales logging 2.1 trillion won, posting a 57.7 percent on-year decrease. The company's operating profits logged 160 billion won, a 94.5 percent decrease from the same period last year.
"If HMM continues to post poor financial results, it could result in a decline in corporate value, and make it difficult to find a buyer. It is true that a low-cost acquisition may speedily end the M&A process, but sellers such as KDB and HMM's shareholders will not desire to sell the company at a low cost," she said.
V of BTS will appear in a music video for IU’s upcoming single, according to a local media report Tu ...
이준석 국민의힘 전 대표가 지난 18일 오전 대구 남구 이천동 대구아트파크에서 열린 대구경북 중견언론인모임 아시아포럼21 주최 초청토론회에 참석해 기조연설을 하고 있다. 뉴스1이준 ...
About 20 years ago, a soft-spoken, bespectacled man with a scarf around his neck showed the world ho ...
- Korean defense firms head to Egypt defense expo to expand market presence
- [Herald Interview] Kim Gi
- [Herald Interview] Saudi Arabia seeks to engage with world through Diriyah Contemporary Art Biennale
- Book records testimonies of bereaved families, survivors of Itaewon tragedy
- Korean students outperform OECD average amid pandemic havoc: data
- Crowd crush victims forced to cope alone
- Posco to build joint venture with US grain company
- Will Kep1er disband? Project group eyes extension with 'Magic Hour'
- Govt. to survey spending on private education of preschoolers, Suneung retakers
- Seoul shares open lower on Fed's higher
- Hyundai Motor may sell Russian plant to local firm
- Over half of Koreans want continuous strengthening of alliance with US: poll
- [Herald Interview] As a wanderer, Yoshitomo Nara does not confine himself to art
- Political strife may delay Korea’s launch of new space agency
- Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
- SKC to build bioplastics plant in Vietnam
- Hyundai Motor shows off air mobility, drone tech at Seoul defense fair
- One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
- [view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
- 'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
- Yoon, doctors set to clash over medical school quota
- Jeonse scams cause W510b in losses, with less than 25% recovered: lawmaker
- 윤 대통령 “국민소통·현장소통·당정소통 강화하라”
- S.Korea's largest
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- S. Korea set to open largest
- MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
- SC Bank Korea CEO nominated for fourth term
- Celltrion partners with US pharmacy chain for Yuflyma sales
- Seoul subway on verge of strike
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
- HiteJinro to produce soju in Vietnam
- Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
- Hamas weapons, tactics resemble those of NK: JCS
- GOT7’s Youngjae to release 1st solo LP “Do It” next month
- Welcome Daehakro Festival lights up Seoul's stage hub