New fad uncovers old school transcripts for dose of nostalgia
简介Issuing and sharing one’s old school transcripts is a new social media fad in South Korea, as the re ...
Issuing and sharing one’s old school transcripts is a new social media fad in South Korea, as the retro craze continues among younger generations.
According to the Ministry of Education, 2.85 million school transcripts were issued between July and September of this year, marking a 6.1-fold increase compared to the same period last year.
While requests for transcripts are typically made for practical purposes such as job or college applications, this sudden surge is primarily attributed to a different motivation: a curiosity to rediscover one’s own past through the old school records.
School transcripts in South Korea have a section where the homeroom teacher leaves a short comment about each student. This offers a hint of how a particular child was perceived by teachers as a student, and unique insight into one’s childhood.
Childhood records, a few clicks away
The rise of this trend was facilitated by the convenience of online transcript issuance.
With just a few clicks at Government24, a civil service portal, anyone who graduated from high school here since 2003 can have their records issued online.
Those who went to school before that must visit the school itself or regional education or administrative offices to request physical issuance of their transcripts. School records are preserved for 50 years.
This reporter’s school transcripts show that teachers saw me as being “polite,” that I “read a lot of books” and as “fluent in English.” Apart from English proficiency, these attributes are among the most frequently used descriptions in teachers' comments.
More than 70,000 children and teenagers are identified as “homeless” in South Korea, wandering the s ...
The 28th Busan International Film Festival came to an end Friday, completing its 10 day-run. The eve ...
After a yearlong journey touring international stages, including Lollapalooza and MTV's Video M ...
- [Herald Interview] Zion.T aims to rebrand with new LP ‘Zip’
- P&G Korea launches premium diaper to combat skin dryness
- [Exclusive] 'Game of Thrones' publisher inks deal for Korean books for first time
- N. Korea sent more than 1,000 containers of military equipment, munitions to Russia: White House
- Korea Herald, Indonesia's Kompas vow to deepen media ties
- 혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
Another search targets opposition leader in corruption probe
Samsung owns largest No. of Israeli subsidiaries among S. Korean conglomerates: report
South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links
혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
Solbi talks about dealing with malicious online comments in documentary
Yoon says improved relations between S. Korea, Japan are people's will
- 감사원, 文정부 소상공인 지원 실태 감사 착수
- Weak won pushes import prices up in October
- Seoul mayor to consider street festivities for LG Twins' victory
- LG Twins crowned champions for 1st time since 1994 as S. Korean baseball season ends
- Seoul Metropolitan Traditional Orchestra meets electronic beats
- 한·미 북핵 대응 전략 10년 만에 다시 쓴다
- 19 S. Koreans held captive in Myanmar freed: ministry
- S. Korean literary giant Hwang Sok
- Seoul shares down amid possible US government shutdown woes
- BTS company Hybe heading to Latin America
- Opposition calls for Yoon's overhaul of Cabinet after by
- USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week
- S. Korea logs current account surplus for 4th month in August
- S. Korea keeping close tabs on reported repatriation of N.K. defectors from China: minister
- [HIT Forum] Innospace champions small satellite renaissance
- [HIT Forum] High schooler shares his space dream
- 강서구청장 12시 투표율 11.4%…직전 지선보다 2.9%p 낮아
- [HIT Forum] Korea's only astronaut highlights humanity's connection with universe
- [HIT Forum] Sci
- HD Hyundai Shipbuilding invests $47m in Estonian fuel cell for green maritime energy
- Israleli strikes flatten entire neighborhoods as Gaza faces imminent blackout
- 218 Koreans head home from Israel: Foreign Ministry
- The ruling party vows extraordinary measures to win back people's trust after crushing by
- Russian, Uzbek nationals under investigation after campsite brawl
- PM makes official visit to Denmark to promote Expo bid
- [HIT Forum] More than 400 attendees explore space at HIT forum
- Trend forecaster Kim Ran
- Yoon, officials strongly condemn Hamas killings as act of terrorism
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- 윤 대통령 “중동 리스크 대응, 민생에 전력 다해야”